Cashew ‘cheesecake’ is something I’ve been wanting to try for ages, with online reviews promising a delicious, healthy alternative to real cheesecake. Having tried it finally today, I can say the fans are not wrong – this is DELICIOUS!!
There is an element of expectation management, as anyone looking for that cheesecake tang might be a tad disappointed, I’d say it’s more like a white chocolate and nut mousse in both taste and texture – how bad is that. I’m already dreaming up a banoffie pie version, and a hazlenut Bailey’s one.
After rustling through various online versions I put together this one to match the ingredients I had to hand, and it got a thumbs up from 6 out of 7 diners of all ages. It takes only 15 minutes to prepare, sets in seconds and needs no baking, with the added bonus of being packed full of nutritious ingredients.
- 1 Cup Oats
- ½ cup milled linseed/flaxseed/mix
- 2 prunes
- 1 tsp manuka or raw honey
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- 1 cup frozen cherries
- 1½ cup soaked cashews (this will be about 1 cup before soaking)
- 1½ cups almond milk (360ml)
- 2 level tbsp agar agar
- 2 tsp vanilla essence or 4 cm vanilla pod
- 1 tsp almond essence (optional)
- 4 dates
- 2 tsp raw honey (optional)
- cocoa to dust
- Put the oats and milled linseed into a blender. (I used a flaxseed, dried blueberry & raspberry, sesame mix, but any mix will do). Blend into biscuit crumb consistency.
- Add the prunes and honey and blend until it’s all disappeared
- Heat the coconut oil
- Add the blended mix to the coconut oil
- Press into a sprung base tin. Press down well and leave to set in the fridge
- Put the cashews and 120 ml of milk into the blender, and blend to a cream.
- Add the dates, honey, vanilla and almond essence and blend into one.
- Sprinkle the agar agar onto the remaining milk and heat in a saucepan.
- Simmer until the agar agar is disapeared (probably 5 mins)
- Pour into the blended mix, and blend into a nice thick cream.
- Scatter the cherries over the base, and cover with the cream mix. (work quickly as the mix sets fast!)
- Return to fridge, and leave to set.
- Dust with cocoa and enjoy!
If you prefer to use ml or oz, 1 Cup = 24oml = 8fl oz